Thursday, October 12, 2017

If You Threw a Party and Nobody Came


Just then, Jesus told another mystical tale:

A powerful person
Gave a fancy wedding
For their beloved child.
We were all invited,
But nobody went.
Again, invitations
Were sent to all:
"All is now ready!
Please come and
Celebrate with us"

Some of us
Laughed it off;
Some of us
Were too busy;
Some of us 
Mugged the Messenger;
Some of us
Killed the Mail-carrier;
None of those invited
Were worthy to attend.

On the third day,
People went out
Into the streets
Of the City, and
Everyone was
Invited to the party:
Good people;
Bad people;
Random people.
The wedding hall
Was at capacity!

It would be easiest to end the story here. It makes perfect sense to me, seems fair, and touches me as a random powerless person. But the parable continues! Why?

The Father saw someone 
Who hadn't dressed up:
"Friend, who let you in,
Dressed in blue-jeans?"
The man was confused -
He had an Invitation!
"Throw this man out!
Many are invited,
But few are let in."

How am I to understand the ending, unless someone explains it to me?

(Matthew 22:1-14)


(photography by tiwago)

Advent: A New Hope; Part 1

I am called Isaiah, and The Spirit's crisp Breath  Cleanses my lungs, and Oxygenates my every cell; Clarifying my muddled m...