Friday, June 2, 2017

Red Shirt Day



Luke: When the day of pentecost arrived, they came together and spontaneously combusted. A raging fire-tornado filled the room. They ran outside and all spoke at the same time in every language of the world. Cacophony. Chaos. Observers blamed it on bad dope.

John: Evening settled. "Peace be with you." Hands shaken, held, kissed. "Peace be with you." A soft, warm, caressing breath. "Receive the Holy Spirit."

Luke's Pentecost is a violent affair; John's is a loving one. Many people wear red on Pentecost. I can not help but think of Star Trek when I wear a red shirt. 



Luke is STOS.  


John is STNG. 


In Star Trek the Original Series, you knew the red-shirt would die - the story's sacrificial goat; while in Star Trek the Next Generation, the leaders wore red. As servant leaders, our Pentecost must embrace both the self-sacrifice and the inspiration. We must boldly go. "As the Father sent me, so I send you."


Breathe on me, Breath of God, 
fill me with life anew, 
that I may love what thou dost love, 
and do what thou wouldst do.

Edwin Hatch



Advent: A New Hope; Part 1

I am called Isaiah, and The Spirit's crisp Breath  Cleanses my lungs, and Oxygenates my every cell; Clarifying my muddled m...