Saturday, May 20, 2017

Valerian


To some, a noble nobleman in an ignoble world - a Caesar;
Defender of Empire, a legislator passing laws, executing Christians.

A flower, a European colonial, invading our native woodlands;
Sometimes called Jacob's Ladder, connector of heaven and earth;
Pretty flower of many false hopes: healer of the trots and syphilis;
And of some toothy things: toothaches - animal bites - rabies.

In the good, there is always bad.
In the bad, there is often some good.
In the bad, there is the false promise of good,
And in the bad there is a true promise of good.
Maybe I, should then judge less -
Am I not Valerian too?


(image and poetry by tiwago)

I Asked a Flower

I was hiking Beneath a hot September sun - I was sweating, And meditating; When lo I came Upon a brightly Burning bush! So, I sa...