Tuesday, April 4, 2017

One of Twelve



One among Twelve:
A twelfth part;
Twenty percent;
The Principle of Pareto.

They say that after
The forty days, and
The forty nights of
Testing in the Wilds,
It waited for a more
Opportune time to try again.
And, when It saw Its time,
It offered thirty silver coins;
Flesh always has a value!
One of Twelve accepted
Those thirty silver coins.

The Twelve dined with the One,
Who said one would betray him:
"Surely not I!" said One of Twelve;
"Surely not I!" said the first of the Twelve;
"Surely not I!" said each of the Twelve.

Then he went to the garden to pray
With a few close and sleepy friends;
When One of Twelve approached
Along with a frightening armed mob:
"I will go and kiss him. Lock him up!"
"My friend, why come and kiss me so?"
For thirty silver coins.

The first of the Twelve was their witness -
He spied upon the proceedings, but was seen:
"You are one of his followers!"
"Surely not I!";
"You are one of his followers!"
"Surely not I!";
"You are one of his followers!"
"Surely not I!";
"You are!" crowed the rooster.

He did not expect the result
When he accepted the coins.
Who knows the lies he'd told himself?
But now, he regretted;
But now, he repented;
But now he tried to undo it,
To take it back, to give it back,
To wash his hands. He threw
Thirty silver coins back at them;
He threw himself from a tall tree,
And died upon it, as his Teacher
Would soon die on another tree.

Thirty silver coins lay there,
Unwanted on the Temple floor,
Associated with blood, it was unclean,
Fit only for an unclean purpose.
So thirty silver coins purchased
A field for poor and unclean dead,
For hadn't the Prophet Jeremiah said:
"Thirty silver coins is the value
On the head of the one with a price,
He on whom the people set a price;
So thirty silver coins purchased
A field for poor and unclean dead"?

Bloody business this.
Pilate too tried to wash his hands,
To say: "Surely not I!"

But it was he, 
And it was we;
And it is ever I.



Tiwago





(from Matthew 26:14 - 27:66)

Christ the King Sunday

The last Sunday of the Church's year. The Sunday before Advent. As a convert (2003), I had always assumed that Christ the King Su...